Saturday, May 31, 2008

V_MPFW

Hey Friends! I'm quite late as to typing one of these, but ah well. I got a lot of quick reviews to do here and I'm going to try out a new format for my blogs. If you couldn't tell I'm going to start numbering them (with Roman numerals) and such. I got two ROH DVD reviews, an Indiana Jones review, No More Heroes and Dr. Mario Online Rx reviews, and finally some notes from Wizard World Philly! Phew. So let's make these reviews short and sweet since I don't want to be typing for too long.

ROH "Manhattan Mayhem" DVD review
ROH recently had a $10 DVD sale so I decided to buy a few of course. Members of the ROH boards say that this is one of the best ROH shows ever so I got it. Every match was very good. Hard for me to pick the best match on here. My personal favorite was Colt Cabana vs. Nigel McGuinness since I'm a fan of both guys. It was a fun match plus some great chain wrestling. The real main event (Samoa Joe and Jay Lethal vs. Homicide and Low Ki) didn't seem quite like a main event, but the Cop Killa/double stomp combination made it great. Definitely a great show so go buy it!

ROH "Arena Warfare" DVD review
This is another DVD I got from the sale. This one is part of the Milestone Series of ROH DVD's. It is the only ROH show held in the former ECW Arena as well as a chapter in their war with CZW. I mainly got this one since the ROH vs. CZW feud is what got me into ROH and the other indies. Match wise, nothing really special about this one besides Bryan Danielson vs. Alex Shelley and the riot at the end. If you enjoyed the CZW feud or just want the entire Milestone Series, then pick this one up. A precious gem on this one is a line said by BJ Whitmer. I'll let you find that one out.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull review
I'll make this one short, the movie was great and I enjoyed it up until the ending. It seemed too far fetched even for Indiana Jones.

No More Heroes review
This game was the reason I didn't have a blog this past Sunday since I couldn't pry myself away. This game is great but not perfect. There's a lot of things I don't like about it, but everything else pretty much makes up for it. The storyline seemed a little confusing the first time, but the second time made more sense. I beat it on easy and it was quite short. I'm working on beating it on medium, and if I can I'm going to try on bitter mode. The art style of this game is awesome. I just want to see a movie made in this style. Also I love how they break the fourth wall at some points because it's quite funny. Definitely get this if you own a Wii.

Dr. Mario Online Rx review
This is the first WiiWare title that I've downloaded, hopefully the first of many. I'm not that good at the Dr. Mario games, but it's fun. So far I can only play on the easier levels. It's a bit much at 1,000 Wii points so I recommend this to all the puzzle lovers out there. By the way, I beat Joe Negron! It was a fluke win because he destroyed me in 2 others games, but I did get a win!

WIZARD WORLD PHILLY
Hopefully I can remember all the good stuff so I can type it in here. This was my first time going to a Wizard World show and it was quite an experience along with my father and my sister. I got a whole bunch of free swag like some comics and some pins.

I got some wrestlers' autographs like Al Snow, Blue Meanie, Nick "Eugene" Dinsmore and The Iron Sheik! Al Snow was cool as was Blue Meanie. I also bought a Blue World Order shirt. I had a cool conversation with Eugene. I was wearing my Chikarmy shirt so we talked a bit about CHIKARA. I told him that he should wrestle for them someday. The Iron Sheik was surprisingly a very nice guy when he's not shooting on anybody. This guy and his daughter (I assume his daughter) got a pic with him and Sheik was very nice to her. Also in attendance were Kevin Nash, Christy Hemme, Dawn Marie, Nikolai Volkoff and Virgil. Have you ever seen that picture of Virgil's autograph signing with the "Virgil: Wrestling Superstar" sign and nobody there? Virgil had the same sign with him and wasn't getting as much love as the other wrestlers.

In the "Artist Alley" section was a mini-booth for CHIKARA, right along with the guy who does "Headlocked". I was finally able to get Mike Quackenbush to sign my CHIKARA Yearbook, so I have it signed by the all the active CHIKARA guys in there (besides Los Ice Creams and Equinox if you want to count him) . Hydra and Crossbones were handing out postcard flyers advertising some of the DVD's. On this flyer was my very own (as well as Lyle Williams's) cover for "Battle of Who Could Care Less"! I told Quack that I did that cover and he informed me that the cover is a favorite amongst the CHIKARA locker room.

While I'm looking at all these artists, it makes me want to improve my drawings and hopefully get into one of these shows someday. I bought a few drawings this guy does in his own style, so I got Super Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog, Master Shake, Frylock, Meatwad and the Roger Moore version of James Bond. I was very disappointed that I couldn't find any sort of Watchmen merchandise. Also I sort of had an impulse purchase and got this variant color, 1 of 3000, action figure of Dr. Zoidberg:


Next I caught the tail end of a discussion panel with Joe Quesada, editor-in-chief for Marvel Comics. We were able to meet him afterwards and got a picture with him:


He's a nice guy. I told him that I hope that Stephen Colbert wins the presidential election in the Marvel universe. After this panel, they showed some trailers for a bunch of movies that are coming out like The Dark Knight, Hellboy 2, and The Incredible Hulk among others. Once again I was disappointed since there was no teaser trailer for Watchmen. After that we went home after a long day.

OK I'm done for now. It's midnight and I got to work tomorrow morning. Also there's a bowling party for my job that I'll be at so I'll be out pretty much all day Sunday.

Until next time,
-Mike

1 comments:

NightRiver said...

Good reviews all around! Eh, I was fine with the Indiana Jones ending, guess cause, im all about the paranormal. Hehe. I def plan on buying No More Heroes, but im still sucked up in GTAIV haha.

Ill put up my Wizard World blog up soon.