Sunday, June 8, 2008

VI_MPFW

I had quite a night at ROH on Saturday night. This was the first ROH show I've been to since "Glory By Honor VI Night 1", one of the shows featuring Mitsuharu Misawa, but I still haven't bought that one on DVD yet. Speaking of DVD's, I bought 8 DVD's to get caught up on all the current ROH stuff and they are, "Man Up", "Rising Above", "Final Battle 2007", "Proving Ground", "Sixth Anniversary Show", "Dragon Gate Challenge II", "Supercard of Honor III" and "Injustice". That's a grand total of $120 well spent. Me and my bro were talking to these two guys in front us throughout the show and stupid me didn't get their names or anything. I'll get back to talking about the ROH show later.

I tried to watch "The Era of Honor Begins", the very first ROH show on DVD before I went to the ROH show, but I ended up doing other things. In fact I'm watching it as I'm typing. Expect a review of that DVD in the near future. So far, I hope I never ever see the Christopher Street Connection ever again.

I'm working on an art project for Vin Gerard again. For now I'll keep it a secret and hope it doesn't get axed. If you didn't know, I designed a t-shirt for Vin Gerard:

It was a design that he wanted with the Equinox mask in a noose. He was ready to get them printed, but decided it wasn't very appealing to the CHIKARA audience, which is understandable. If he doesn't use what I'm currently working on, then I'm going to put it on a wallpaper design and submit it for the CHIKARA wallpaper contest, if I have time, so you'll soon see what I've been working on.

ROH "Respect is Earned II" live review ***PPV SPOILERS***

Pre-show: Shane Hagadorn and Mitch Franklin def. The Osirian Portal (Amasis and Ophidian)
I love the Osirian Portal in CHIKARA and I was very surprised to hear that they were doing pre-show for this event. They got a pretty good reception from the crowd. I thought they did quite well and wrestled better than both Hagadorn and Franklin. Hagadorn pinned Amasis after a running STO. Good match. The Portal got a "Please come back" chant, but I'm not sure if the crowd was serious or not, but it's still pretty cool. I would love to see them on the main show for the next Philly event, September 20, 2008 which I'm 95% sure I'll be attending.

Pre-show: Rhett Titus def. Ernie Osiris to win the Top of the Class trophy
I love Rhett Titus's character. This was an OK match. Rhett pinned Osiris with a crucifix powerbomb to win the trophy, which he deserves.

Kevin Steen and El Generico def. The Vulture Squad (Jigsaw and Ruckus)
I was surprised that Julius Smokes wasn't in the corner for the Vulture Squad. Guess it was his day off. Very good main show opener with Jigsaw getting pinned after a swanton bomb by Steen followed by a splash by Generico. Post match, Steen got an El Generico mask from a fan in the crowd and preceded to do some of Generico's antics. I turned those two guys sitting in front of us into Kevin Steen fans because he's so awesome.

Claudio Castagnoli def. Davey Richards
Davey seemed more over than Claudio. This was on OK match, yet not one of the best matches I've seen Claudio in. Here's the second best spot of the night: Claudio was on the outside and Davey went for a dive, hit Claudio, but ended up flying into the third row of my section. They landed in a somewhat empty area, but still ended up hitting a lady in the crowd. Claudio got the pin after the lift-off uppercut (when Claudio throws his opponent into the air and gives them an uppercut as they're falling).

Brent Albright, Delirious and Pelle Primeau w/ Daizee Haze def. Chris Hero, Adam Pearce and Eddie Edwards w/ Larry Sweeney, Sara Del Rey, Bobby Dempsey and Shane Hagadorn
During the Sweet and Sour Inc. entrance Larry Sweeney was passing out his business cards and I was able to grab one! Here's a good trios match. Brent was way over. This was my first time seeing Eddie Edwards live and I thought he did well. I forget most of this match, but Brent got the win after giving Edwards some knees to the head. Post match we find out that inside of Adam Pearce's briefcase is the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. The NWA will now be defended in ROH.

Roderick Strong def. Erick Stevens in a Fight Without Honor
Holy crap this one was brutal. My pick for MOTN. Plenty of stiff shot exchanges and lots of blood. Some cool moments in this match include Roderick giving Stevens the half-nelson backbreaker (more of a slam though) onto a set-up chair and Stevens giving Roderick a TKO onto a ladder set-up between the ring apron and the guardrail. Roderick gets the win after giving Stevens a superplex off a HUGE ladder (20 feet I believe) onto some tables. That was the number one spot of the night. You MUST see the PPV for this moment. The ladder was dent from the TKO and everyone thought they were going to fall prompting a "Please don't die" chant, but thankfully the ladder didn't break and the spot was great. From what I've read, Stevens allegedly got some broken ribs because of it. Post match Larry Sweeney came down and tried to convince Strong to join Sweet and Sour Inc., but Strong turns it down. Davey Richards then came out, trying to persuade Strong, but he still says no. It is revealed that Davey is now a member of Sweet and Sour Inc and Davey beats up Roderick. I'm pretty sad now that my favorite faction, The No Remorse Corps, seems to be done with.

Nigel McGuinness def. Go Shiozaki to retain the ROH World Championship
This is my first time seeing Go wrestle. I've heard that he had a great match with Bryan Danielson from one of the ROH Japan shows. I'm probably going to pick up those DVD's on the next $10 sale. Nigel is awesome as a heel champion. This match was mostly stiff shots and the match didn't really connect with the crowd. Nigel got the pin after the jawbreaker lariat. Speaking of lariats, there was a guy in the crowd with a sign that had the McDonald's arch and said "McLariat". I got a kick out of that one. After the match, Danielson challenged McGuinness for the championship.

Jimmy Jacobs and Tyler Black def. Bryan Danielson and Austin Aries to retain the ROH World Tag Team Championship
First off there was a DQ right away because of Jimmy and Aries using chairs on each other. The crowd was mad, but they decided to restart it since it was an important match. This was an excellent tag team match. I thought this match was going to end several times but didn't. Danielson and Aries both had in the triangle choke with elbows and the Horns of Aries respectively but no and Jimmy put Aries in the End of Day (guillotine choke) but no. Aries and Jimmy ended up brawling to the back. Tyler Black ended up pinning Danielson with a phoenix splash. Tyler got a "Next World Champ" chant. Nigel McGuinness came out afterwards and said that Danielson doesn't get a shot until he's beaten everyone that Nigel has beaten.

Jigsaw w/ Ruckus def. Eddie Kingston w/ Sabian and Robby Moreno
This was on OK match and I was surprised it was so far up the card. Jigsaw got the pin after three kicks to the head followed by a top rope double stomp. Members of the ROH boards are hopping mad over the fact that Kingston lost. I picked Kingston to win in my pick em game, but I understand that member of the ROH roster should lose to a newcomer to ROH. This match mainly happened because Ruckus is a member of both BLK OUT and the Vulture Squad. Ruckus tried to get everybody to work it out, but BLK OUT beat up Jigsaw post match.

Necro Butcher def. Jay Briscoe in a street fight
As I feared, this was one of those matches that went around the building with the swarm of fans following them around. I was smart by going to the front row knowing that they'll be back in the ring, therefore I missed the opening moments. Sure enough, they're back in the ring and I got a great view. There were scissors used on Necro and I almost got blood on me. A table was set-up outside with chairs pilled up on it, but it wasn't used. Jimmy Jacobs and Tyler Black came out try and aid Necro, but Mark Briscoe (with cast on his arm) came out to save his brother. Necro won after giving Jay a tiger driver on the guardrail set up inside the ring. This was a very good and very bloody street fight.

***End of spoilers***

All and all it was a great show. This one should come off great on PPV and DVD. Here's my one problem with ROH right now: Why is a tag title match higher up on the card than an ROH World championship match? If you want to keep the prestige of your world title up, then put it at the top of the card, unless you have a big name tag team coming in the challenge for the tag titles. Also with the PPV tapings, I've seen that the PPV main event isn't taped at the end of the the event. I don't know why this is, but I was happy with the Jay-Necro street fight.

I was parked next to Ruckus's car so I said what's up to him afterwards.

I tired of typing so I'll see you next time!

0 comments: