Saturday, June 14, 2008

VII_MPFW

I have you right where I want you! HA!

Don't know what that was about. Just wanted something different than "Hey friends!" With that out of the way, I got a new piece of artwork, 2 ROH DVD reviews and a quick Toki Tori review. I was hoping to see The Incredible Hulk today, but I didn't get around to it. Later I go to CHIKARA's "Young Lions Cup VI Night 3", so expect a live report on Monday. Also I'll have a review of the Hulk movie in a future edition of Mike's Place For Words!

Equinox/Vin Gerard wallpaper

Last blog I mentioned an art project for Vin Gerard. It turns out he got somebody else to do it, so I decided to make the drawing into a wallpaper and enter it into CHIKARA's wallpaper contest. I've seen Vin Gerard at shows vandalizing some CHIKARA flyers, so it was inspiration for this one. This is an Equinox wallpaper with Vin taking a Sharpie to it. If you want the full size so that you too could use it as a wallpaper, let me know and I'll get your email address and send it to ya!

ROH "The Era of Honor Begins" DVD review

This is the DVD where the magic began. With this whole DVD, I did not like the commentary and there were TOO MANY PROMOS! In retrospect, I guess there should be a lot of promos since it is the first show. The very beginning showed Da Hit Squad getting the crowd pumped up. If you had a nickel for every time you heard "the stiffest tag team", you'd be very rich. They built up Da Hit Squad like they were the best tag team in the world, but they're not very respected amongst the ROH boards it seems. Monsta Mack still does JAPW, but I don't know about the other guy.

The midcard was nothing really to talk about. It was cool to see a young Jay Briscoe as well as an early Homicide and wrestling Prince Nana. The last two matches were very good though. Super Crazy vs. Eddy Guerrero was a nice lucha match. Watching it made me how much I miss Eddy, he truly was great. The triple threat between American Dragon, Low Ki and Christopher Daniels should be in an ROH Hall of Fame if one is ever created, simply because it helped launch Ring of Honor. A cool spot in this match was when Dragon began putting one of them in a Muta lock, then gave the other guy a Northern Lights suplex while applying the Muta lock when coming down.

This was an OK show with two great matches to close it. I got this one on a $10 sale, so if you want to get it, ROH usually has those awesome $10 sales. I got this mostly because I wanted the first show.

ROH "Man Up" DVD review

I wanted to get this when it first came out, but I didn't have much money at the time, so I bought this at the "Respect is Earned II" tapings. Anyway it opens with a nice Four Corner Survival match featuring Chris Hero, Claudio Castagnoli, Nigel McGuinness and Naomichi Marufuji. Next was a set of singles matches between the No Remorse Corps and The Resilience. Rocky Romero vs. Matt Cross was good with most of Cross's high-flying offense in there, but it seemed a bit short. Davey Richards vs. Austin Aries and Roderick Strong vs. Erick Stevens were good as well.

Bryan Danielson vs. Takeshi Morishima for the ROH title was better than I expected since Dragon had a bad eye. It looked like Dragon would pick up the win a few times, but Morishima began cowardly attacking the bad eye leading to the ref stopping the match. I heard these two had a great match back at "Manhattan Mayhem II", leading to Dragon getting the eye injured, so I might pick that one up next show.

Now, the main event, Briscoes vs. Kevin Steen and El Generico in a LADDER WAR! I didn't really think it was the MOTYC that everyone said it was, but don't get me wrong, it was still friggin' awesome. This was the best ladder match I've ever seen. Lots of sick ladder spots in this one including a Package piledriver and J-Driller onto ladders. Definitely pick up this DVD just to see this match.

There were bonus matches on this DVD as well. I skipped Mitch Franklin vs. Alex Payne. Amazing Kong and Daizee Haze vs. Lacey and Sara Del Rey was a nice womens tag match. I don't know if it's still possible, but I would like to see more Kong in ROH. BJ Whitmer and Brent Albright vs. Chasyn Rance and Kenny King as well as Jack Evans and Irish Airborne vs. The Age of the Fall were good. Matt Sydal vs. Delirious was a nice send off as it was Sydal's final ROH match. This was a nice match with both men using all of their signature moves. Speaking of Sydal, it's great to see him wrestling on TV.

Toki Tori review

I wanted another WiiWare game, so I got this one. An online friend in the UK recommended it since Toki Tori was out there before the US. This is a neat puzzle game and it's quite challenging. I got stuck a few times and had to check GameFAQs.com for help a few times. I'm almost done with the game though. It's a cute game and I recommend it.

Speaking of downloadable games for the Wii, Earthbound could possibly be coming to the Virtual Console in the near future! I always wanted to play that game since I played as Ness in Super Smash Bros.

Also, I purchased a webcam and will be live on Stickam sometimes. Here's the Stickam link.

I'm going to wrap it up now and I'll see you later!

0 comments: