Monday, June 16, 2008

VIII_MPFW

This past Sunday I made the 70 mile, 1 hour 35 minute drive to Hellertown, PA for the third (and more than likely final) time for CHIKARA. I wanted to go to last year's Young Lions Cup, but I didn't, so this year I made it. Also, this was the final show to be held in the American Legion Hall in Hellertown. Oh the memories. I went with my brother as usual and was able to sit with Joe Negron and Yolanda in front row.

CHIKARA "Young Lions Cup VI Night 3" live review


Da Soul Touchaz (Willie Richardson, Acid Jaz and Marshe Rockett w/ C-Red) def. The Fabulous Three (Larry Sweeney, Mitch Ryder and Shayne Hawke)
It was great to see the Soul Touchaz again. Lots of references to the "You!" from their Soulja Boy entrance music in this one. I thought this match was a little bit long, but a good opener with lots of fun stuff going on. Willie gets the pin on Sweeney after a HUGE top rope leg drop. Post match, Mitch Ryder blames Sweeney for losing yet again and calls him a loser. Harsh.

Jimmy Olsen def. Lince Dorado
Here's something sad, as soon as Lince's entrance music hit, the whole crowd went "Aww", and I don't mean the "aww he's so cute aww". I thought Jimmy was going towards becoming a tecnico, but I guess not since he went full-on rudo in this one. The crowd is dead which is a shame because this was an OK match. Lince did C-4 (standing Spanish fly) followed by an Anaconda Vise, but Jimmy removed Lince's mask and was able to pin Lince. This would've been a DQ, but the ref didn't see it.

Mike Quackenbush was out now for a promo. On Night 2 he was tagging with Shane Storm
against the Super Smash Bros of Player Uno and Stupefied. Tim Donst came out during the match and whispered something into Quack's ear, then Quack proceeded to beat up Storm. To sum up his whole promo, Tim Donst found out that Shane Storm was the one who taught Chris Hero the counter to the CHIKARA Special. Storm left during the show, so Quack left the show to I guess throwdown with Storm at his house which is only 15 minutes away.

Gran Akuma, Icarus and Chuck Taylor def. Ultimo Breakfast, Sami Callihan and Steve "The Turtle" Weiner
The winning persona for Create-a-Wrestler is Ultimo Breakfast. I don't quite get his gimmick, but his mask looks like a Spartan helmet, but a toaster with toast in it. N
aturally, the names of his moves were a lot of breakfast puns such as "Sunny Side Up". This was a good, very fun trios match. I was impressed with Sami Callahan and would love to see him more. Big spot of the match is when Weiner went for an Asai moonsault to everyone on the outside, but was pulled down and fell into everybody. Gran Akuma pinned Sami with the falcon arrow.

Tim Donst def. Ethan Page
Tim Donst is good once again! He was accompanied to the ring by Hydr
a, but UltraMantis Black later came out and dragged Hydra away. Ethan Page calls himself "The Motion Picture". Funny spot, at one point Page rewinded the match in slow-motion so that he could get the upper hand. Donst wins with The Donstitution in an OK match. Ethan Page was OK.

Sara Del Rey and Bobby Dempsey def. The Osirian Portal (Amasis and Ophidian)
Sara and Bobby are friendly in CHIKARA, but Sara pushes Bobby around in ROH so it's kind of weird seeing them tag together still. The crowd is once again pretty dead. It appeared that the Osirian Portal was going for a tower of doom type superplex on Sara, but it looked like Amasis slipped and botched and it turned into a neckbreaker. I felt this match was longer than it should've been. Bobby sat on Ophidian for the pin in an OK match.


Intermission time! I bought "Grit and Glory" and "Aniversarioma" on DVD.

Eddie Kingston def. Soldier Ant
It was originally Kingston and Ruckus vs. Mike Quackenbush and Shane Storm, but Ruckus no-showed and I'm sure Quack and Storm weren't going to team up. Anot
her match with a dead crowd. This match was basically Kingston slapping Soldier around. Kingston gets the win with the Backfist to the Future.

Brodie Lee def. Drake Younger
This was a very stiff match as expected. At one point, Brodie chokeslammed Drake on the edge of the ring which looked and sounded quite painful. Drake went for the Ku
doh driver (Cop Killa, Vertibreaker), but Brodie got out of it :(. Brodie kicked Drake in the face for the pin. Drake got a "Please come back" chant even though he wrestled at "Maximum Overdraft" last year and "King of Trios 2008" this year.

Incoherence (Delirious and Hallowicked) def. Super Smash Bros (Player Uno and Stupefied)
Before the match was some hilarious stuff. During Player Uno's entrance, I had my Wiimote with me because I was going to play Joe in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii after the show, so he took it and did some stuff and did poses with it. Also, Delirio
us was arguing what systems were better. He shouted out "NEO GEO!" and "TURBO GRAFX-16!" and at one point said that Princess Peach was a tramp. I was dying because it was too funny. This was a fun tag team match. Uno and Stupefied kept hitting each other, and I hope they don't break up. Delirious pinned Uno after Chemical Imbalance 2.

Fire Ant def. Vin Gerard to win the Young Lions Cup Championship
Fire Ant replaced Worker Ant since Vin cowardly attacked Worker on N
ight 2. This match was a lot better than I thought it would be. I was quite surprised that Vin didn't win it. The emotion in this match was incredible. The masked tecnicos came out ringside to support Fire Ant. Vin kept going for the STF, but Fire kept escaping. Vin got very frustrated at one point and pulled out the shooting star press, but missed. Fire Ant gave Vin the world-famous Burning Hammer, but Vin fighting spirited it, but Fire gave him the Beach Break for the pin! Fire Ant is your Young Lions Cup VI Champion! I was surprised that Bull Pain didn't come out to the aid of Vin, but it's great to see Vin get what he deserves, a big pile of fail.

It was an OK CHIKARA show. I thought t was better than "Passion and Persistence", but not as good as "Grit and Glory". After the show I met Drake Younger. He's an awesome guy.


Also I picked up Daizee Haze's latest DVD.

Earlier in the month I challenged Joe Negron to Super Smash Bros. Brawl at his house after the show. First we played some Mario Kart Wii and I owned. I got first place on 6 of the 8 races. Then in the first round of Brawl, I cleaned house with Ike, but in the second round I lost playing as Solid Snake. After that, I made the long ride home.

Well, that's does it for me. Stay tuned for the next one!

0 comments: