Sunday, August 3, 2008

XV_MPFW

I went to New York city for ROH "Death Before Dishonor VI" and made a few stops along the way. Keep scrolling if you just want to get to the results.

Trip to New York City

Since I was to NYC, I figured I'd make a day out of it and do a little sight-seeing and drag my brother along. The train getting to NYC was about 90 minutes. I've been on this train before so I know pretty much what's going on. When we get there, it is pouring rain. We stopped in Wendy's to grab lunch, and the rain died down a little bit.

We walked all the way to the Museum of Modern Art. Along the way I noticed the comedy club used as the Split Sides Comedy Club in Grand Theft Auto IV and the studios for The Late Show with David Letterman. Just before we got in, it starting pouring again. There some good stuff in here and there was a special Salvador DalĂ­ exhibit as well. When I usually visit art museums, I get postcards with some of the works on them. However, at $1.25 a postcard rather than $0.25, I decided not to.

Still with a lot of time to kill, there was a farmers market type thing going on along 7th street we walked through. Then we walked up to Central Park to stop and rest for a little bit.

I decided to go to the M&M's World shop. Here they had everything M&M's. This store was really crowded and I started to get annoyed at everybody stopping in the middle of the aisles to take MySpace pictures with most of the merchandise. I ended up purchasing a t-shirt and a bag of red, black and white M&M's to celebrate ROH, but they were taken away when I went inside the ballroom for the event later. Boooo.

We also stopped in the Toys 'R' Us in Times Square because I've never been in there before. We grabbed some dinner at McDonald's then waited in line for the event to start.

ROH "Death Before Dishonor VI" live review

So here I am, the legendary Hammerstein Ballroom. This place is packed. At the merch table I picked up "Take No Prisoners", "Tag Wars 2008", "Return Engagement" and "A New Level" on DVD. I get to my seat on the first balcony and I literally had 5 inches of leg room. This didn't really bother me much, so here's the show results:

Jay and Mark Briscoe def. Ruckus and Jigsaw w/ Julius Smokes
A nice fast-paced opener with the crowd pretty into it. Jigsaw gets pinned after the springboard Doomsday Device. Afterwards, Larry Sweeney came out and was trying to get the Briscoes to join Sweet 'n' Sour Inc., but the Briscoes blew him off.

Chris Hero w/ Sweet 'n' Sour Inc. def. Delirious
The crowd wasn't in this one and the match wasn't all that great for a Chris Hero match. Nothing really noteworthy in this one. I thought Delirious was going to win a few times, but Hero got the win after a roaring forearm.

Eddie Edwards w/ Sweet 'n' Sour Inc. def. Roderick Strong
Good match here and Edwards is starting to grow on me. Strong was going for the Gibson Driver, but Larry Sweeney distracted the referee allowing Chris Hero to forearm Roderick. Edwards then hit the lionsault on Roderick to win.

Brent Albright def. Adam Pearce w/ Sweet 'n' Sour Inc. to win the NWA World Heavyweight Championship
This was an awesome match and my pick for MOTN. Albright was huge over with the crowd here. I forget most of the stuff in this one, but Albright hit 5 consecutive German suplexes at one point. Lots of near-finishes in this one. Larry Sweeney tried to interfere and hit Albright with a chair, but Roderick Strong ran out and decapitated Sweeney with a kick to the face. Albright made Pearce tap out to the crowbar and the crowd went nuts. Awesome match as I said.

Austin Aries def. Jimmy Jacobs and Necro Butcher in a triple threat match
Jimmy and Necro started out as friends in the beginning and Aries had to fight them both at the same time. Necro went for a pin on Aries, but Jimmy broke up the pinfall. Jimmy got on mic and said that Necro is supposed to do what Jimmy tells him to do, so Necro punched him in the face, beat him up and left. Aries used this opportunity to hit the brainbuster followed by the 450 splash. Good match.

Intermission time. There was no way to move around downstairs because it is so packed.

Back from intermission, Delirious comes out and tries to ask out Daizee Haze again. You guessed it, Rhett Titus comes out. Rhett claims that she is "used goods" and reveals that he has Daizee's face on the back of his tights. Delirious beats up Titus and he runs away. Delirious tries to ask her again, but she turns him down and just wants to be friends. The crowd boos Daizee for rejecting him and Delirious is really sad now, hopefully a heel turn.

Naomichi Marufuji def. Go Shiozaki
This one started iffy, but got a whole lot better. Lots of cool moves I've never seen by Marufuji before. Great match here with Marufuji winning with the Pole Shift. Marufuji is awesome as usual and I'm still not really high on Shiozaki. Also, if Shiozaki is in Sweet 'n' Sour Inc., why isn't he heeling it up?

Kevin Steen and El Generico def. Chris Sabin and Alex Shelley
This match was the reason I made the long trek all the way to New York City. It was great to finally see Sabin and Shelley live. The crowd wasn't really focusing on the match and there was some arguing amongst the fans in our section. I thought this was a really good match. Lots of "F**k TNA" chants going on. El Generico hit the top-turnbuckle brainbuster on Shelley and I went nuts for that. Kevin Steen made Sabin tap to the sharpshooter while that happened. Sabin didn't want to shake hands afterwards because it appeared Shelley got knocked out from Generico's brainbuster.

Nigel McGuinness def. Tyler Black, Bryan Danielson and Claudio Castagnoli in a Four-Way Elimination match to retain the ROH World Championship
Claudio was getting crapped on throughout the match by the crowd. Claudio was eliminated first when Danielson was able to roll him up. Danielson shook Claudio's hand, but Claudio went ballistic on Danielson. Nigel used this as his opportunity, so he hit Danielson with a huge lariat to eliminate him. Now it's down to Nigel and Black, similar to "Take No Prisoners". Everybody thought that Tyler was going to win it, including me and my brother. Nigel finally put Black away after two consecutive lariats.

I thought this show was very good and it should come out great on DVD. Sorry for having no fancy pictures in this one. I'm tired of typing. See you next time.

0 comments: