Friday, July 25, 2008

XIV_MPFW

Welcome to yet another edition of "Mike's Place For Words". Here today is some notes about my 21st birthday, my Xbox 360 wishlist, my Grand Theft Auto IV review, and quick reviews of Hexic HD and Pocketbike Racer.

Remember to check out some of the links, mostly the MPFW Facebook group. Only one person so far has submitted a question for me to answer, so get those questions in! Also, vote on the poll on the right side of the page.

My 21st birthday

This past Tuesday, July 22, I turned 21-years-old! For my birthday, I got an Xbox 360! More on that later. For dinner I went to Chili's with my parents and it was pretty nice. This past Saturday there was a surprise party at my house with some of my family members and coworkers. That was also pretty sweet. No, I didn't drink because I don't want to drink.

Thanks to everybody for the birthday wishes sent on either MySpace or Facebook. Thank you Jess, Thom S., hh2news, Eric L., ultimorich, Jim H., George from work, Eddie a.k.a. Benny, Ryan of The CDP, Marty H., Boney the Dog, nymetsjoe, Kevin H., Swiss Flag Girl, Yolanda, Asani, Drakeo, fettman, Ed from work, Jenn, wrestlingman, Tammy and Mary from work. Also I got a special birthday message from CHIKARA's Vin Gerard which made my day. Also thanks to Ma Bo and mickiexjames and probably many others for the birthday wishes while I was in the SWF chat. Sorry if I forgot to mention anybody.


My Xbox 360 Wishlist

I got an Xbox 360 for my birthday! I have it hooked up to my HDTV and it's amazing. With it I got Grand Theft Auto IV, Hexic HD which game in the 360 and even Pocketbike Racer, one of the Burger King promotional video games (Reviews coming up later). I'm unable to connect my 360 to the internet via the ethernet cable, so I ordered a Wifi adapter online. I hope to get it in the mail soon. So here's a list of games that I want to play to add up my 360 collection:

Assassin's Creed
This game looks amazing and I saw it for only $30 at Target. A while back I picked a cardboard cutout of the main character out of the dumpster from Game Stop because I could. Perhaps this might be my next purchase.

Mass Effect
It looks like you need a lot of time on your hands to play this game, but I still really want to play this game.

Pac-Man: Championship Edition
It's a Pac-Man game on the Xbox Live Arcade! What else do I need to say?

Rez HD
I remember playing a demo for this back on PlayStation 2, and thought it was pretty neat, but I could never find the whole game. So now I'll be able to play it IN HD!

Rock Band 2
Release date: September 2008. I might end up wanting to get this for Christmas so I don't have to spend all the money.

Fallout 3
Release date: October 7, 2008. This game looks great when it was shown off at E3 2008. This game looks huge. I'm going to pick this up as long as you don't have to have played the previous Fallout games.

Ghostbusters: The Video Game
Release date: October, 21 2008. I might get this if the reviews are good.

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe
Release date: November 3, 2008. I've grown up playing the Mortal Kombat games and it holds a special place in my heart, despite Mortal Kombat: Armageddon being a huge failure. I really hope this game doesn't disappoint since this is one game I'm looking forward to the most. As of this typing, representing Mortal Kombat are Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Shang Tsung, Sonya Blade, Liu Kang, Kitana and Jax. Representing the DC Universe are Superman, Batman, Catwoman, The Flash, Captain Marvel, The Joker and Green Lantern.

Mirror's Edge
Release date: November 11, 2008. This game looks pretty interesting. If the reviews are good, I'll pick it up. plus there is a comic that's going to be released along with the game.

Portal: Still Alive

Release date: Late 2008. This will be on the Xbox Live Arcade and I really want this! I've never played the first Portal, but this was one of those games I wanted if I got a 360. Apparently this release is the entire Portal game plus some extra stuff.

Resident Evil 5
Release date: March 13, 2009. It looks like Resident Evil 4, but better!

Final Fantasy XIII

Release date: TBA. I've only played FFX and FFX2, but now that I got 360, I'm going to get this one.

Grand Theft Auto IV review

I know I'm probably the last person on the planet to review this game, but holy crap this game is great. It was tough for me to pull my self away from this game and write this blog. Of course, the city setting is just amazing and the story is quite good. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas was one of my favorite games ever, and GTA4 pretty much adds more and fixes some things. The most notable are the graphics which were the only gripe I had with the past games. There's many new great additions for me to list so here are some of the ones I like:

The cell phone is a major part of the game. You can call your friends and hang out with them. With your friends, you can go bowling, grab a drink, play pool, go to a club and many others. When your friends like you enough, you can gain special abilities like calling for a cab or buying weapons out of a trunk of a car.

You can go on the internet, get emails and do certain missions through the internet. One site was a MySpace parody which makes fun of people with hard-to-read profiles.

When the police are searching for you, there is now a search area that comes up on the radar. If you stay out of that area for a little bit, then the police will stop chasing you. Also, if the police see you going into a pay 'n' spray, they will still chase after you, which makes a lot more sense.

The targeting system is better and I haven't had problems with it yet. However, I don't like the new hand-to-hand combat system.

You can hail a taxi instead of trying to steal a car and go to the opposite side of the island. Also when stealing parked cars, you're able to break the window of a locked car and hot wire the engine.

Since my 360 isn't online yet, I haven't tried any of the online modes. This game is quite large and you'll be playing it for a long time. Go get this game.

Hexic HD review

This is a very fun and very colorful puzzle game that looks great on my HDTV. I might be wrong, but I believe this game was created by the same guy who did Tetris, so props to him. It came already on the 360 hard drive, so you don't have to pay anything extra for this. I've been playing this when I couldn't get past some missions in GTA4 and I really enjoy this game. I got 6 out of the 12 achievements so far.

Pocketbike Racer review

This was one of the Burger King promotional video games and we got these in my store. I decided to get the racing game since I heard the bumper car game and Sneak King were quite bad. This was only $4 and I got it just to bring up my gamerscore. The game is somewhat decent and some of the modes quite broken. I won't go into this game a whole bunch. Unless you live near a Five Below, don't bother looking hard for this one.

This weekend, I'm heading up to New York City to see ROH live for "Death Before Dishonor VI" at the Hammerstein Ballroom. The next MPFW will be a live review from that event!

0 comments: