Sunday, September 21, 2008

XX_MPFW

Number 20 is here with two live reviews from the Velocity Pro Wrestling/Ring of Honor doubleheader! Did you notice the hype banner at the top? Probably not. As usual, me and my brother headed to New Alhambra Arena for this big day.

Velocity Pro "Back to Old School" live review

The Nigerian Nightmares def. Chris Ansert, Phil Boucher and Angel Rodriguez
The Nigerian Nightmares are a sight to see. Imagine Big Daddy V in African make-up times two. Nothing real special in this match. After the match, the Nigerian Nightmares licked Rodriguez.

Aramis def. Ethan Page
This was a botchy match, but hey, they're still young. Aramis gets the win with the Vertibreaker 2.0, a vertical suplex that lands in a neckbreaker.


There's a segment now involving Aramis, Stephanie Flash, Amy Lee and Dr. Don Bootz. Adam Flash is disguised as a camera man and comes out and attacks Aramis. Chris Hero then runs out for the save!

The New Hollywood Blondes def. The Gym Rat
z
I can't really remember much for this match besides one of the Hollywood Blondes looking just like Brian Pillman. At one point, some guy who looked a lot like Prince Nana came out. Gym Ratz look very young. OK match.

Sterling James Keenan def. Shiima Xion
Nice match here since these guys are pretty exper
ienced. I was looking forward to this match and it was pretty good. SJK gets the win with an STO followed by the Anaconda Vice.

Intermission time. I had to move my seat because I was sitting right in front of an obnoxious fan. He shouts that the ROH fans in the crowd are too judgmental, but he's crapping on wrestlers whenever they messed up. Chris Hero was selling his merch, but intermission ended just as he came out, so unfortunately I didn't get to talk to him.


All Money is Legal def. Super Hentai and Michael Fasade
I was dissapointed with this match because I've seen AMIL before and they were pretty good. Hentai and Fasade are still young. AMIL got the win, but I forgot what move.

Ray Rowe def. Z-Barr w/ Cobein, Niles Young w/ Noel Harlow, and Shane Taylor
This is when they show got better. I thought I was watching WWE for a second because Shae Taylor looked like Mark Henry, Cobein looked like Batista, and Ray Rowe looked like Highlander Rory. Noel Harlow is quite lovely. Speaking of Ray Rowe, he throws some stiff chops. A lot going on and it must've been No DQ (I don't think it was) because Cobein and Noel Harlow were getting involved a lot. Ray Rowe gets the win with what I calle
d the "Rowe to Sleep", a full nelson slam that goes to a knee to the back of the head. Ray Rowe is the man!

Azrieal def. Bobby Fish
Good match here. Another match with experienced guys I was looking forward to. Azrieal gets the pin with a roll-up full of tights.

Jay and Mark Briscoe def. The Best Around (TJ Cannon an
d Bruce Maxwell)
Good match here, a little short, but I guess The Briscoes were saving it for ROH. Briscoes win after the springboard doomsday device. Briscoes get on the mic and put over TBA after the match.

Overall, this show was OK. The last 3 matches saved it for me. Velocity Pro has some potential. I think they should go to a family-friendly no cursing atmos
phere because the fans crap on everything in that arena.

Between shows now, we to get food, talked to Mel in line before the show. Inside ECW Arena is practically super no vacancy and no A/C. Now for the ROH show!

ROH "Glory By Honor VII" live review


Jerry Lynn def. Kenny King
Lynn was way over and is apparently now a regular on the ROH roster, so congrats to him. King also became a regular recently. This is my first time seeing both of these guys live and I was impressed by both. Good opener here with Lynn winn
ing with the cradle piledriver.

Adam Pearce w/ Sweet 'n' Sour Inc. def. Brent Albright to win the NWA World Heavyweight Championship
This match wasn't as great as their match at "Death Before Dishonor VI", but still a very good match. Pearce worked Albright's arm throughout the match and made Albright tap out to his own Crowbar. I'm surprised Pearce got the belt back this quickly, but I believe Albright's arm might be legit hurt, hence why the took it off him.


Go Shiozaki w/ Sweet 'n' Sour Inc. def. Kevin Steen to retain the FIP Heavyweight Championship
This is the first time I've actually seen Shiozaki heel it up since joining Sweet 'n' Sour Inc. These guys stiffed the living daylights out of each other. Shiozaki wins after the Go Flasher. I am now impressed with Go Shiozaki. Afterwards, Nigel McGuinness comes out and attacks Steen. Nigel now wants to go after the tag team belts.

Bryan Danielson def. Katsuhiko Nakajima to retain the GHC World Jr. Heavyweight Championship
My pick for MOTN and possibly a MOTYC. Nakajima's kicks are up there with KENTA's kicks in terms of stiffness. Danielson did his dive move into the crowd onto Nakajima right in front of me. Danielson retains the belt after making Nakajima tap out to the Cattle Mutilation.

Brief intermission time. I went out to my car then had to use the bathroom, so I ended up missing parts of Rhett Titus vs. Erick Stevens.

Erick Stevens def. Rhett Titus
When I get back to my seat I see Erick Stevens bleeding a whole lot out of his nose and apparently spit blood all over Rhett's face. Stevens wins a quick one with the doctor bomb. Afterwards, Larry Sweeney comes out and wants Stevens to join Sweet 'n' Sour Inc. Stevens turns it down and gets jumped by Sweet 'n' Sour Inc. The Vulture Squad and Roderick Strong run out which leads to the next match.

Chris Hero, Eddie Edwards and Shane Hagadorn def
. Roderick Strong, Jigsaw and Ruckus w/ Julius Smokes
Early on, Hagadorn messes up big time. It gets better towards the end with a nice finishing sequence, including Edwards getting kicked in the face while he was in the middle of doing a quebrada. Hero hits Strong with a loaded elbow for the win.

Kensuke Sasaki def. Claudio Castagnoli

I feel bad for Claudio now. He's one of my favorites, and now he's a very boring heel. Hopefully with Nigel going for the tag belts, they'll join forces. Sasaki did very well and it was great to see him live, but he didn't mix well with Claudio. Sasaki wins an OK match with a northern lights bomb.

Nigel McGuinness def. El Generico to retain the ROH World Championship
It started slow, but got a lot better towards the end. I almost thought Generico would win it a few times. Generico kept coming back and teased the BRAINBUSTAH!!! onto an exposed top turnbuckle. Generico then fell off the turnbuckle and Nigel pinned him to retain.

Intermission time to set up the steel cage. Grizzly Redwood (Mitch Franklin with a new lumberjack gimmick) was setting up the cage, and when he
was done, he opened up a beer. I thought was hilarious and a nice touch to his character.

Austin Aries, Jay and Mark Briscoe def. The Necro Butcher and The Age of the Fall (Jimmy Jacobs, Tyler Black and Delirious) in Steel Cage Warfare
Very good cage match. The Necro Butcher (fighting on his own) was first eliminated after consecutive chair shots by both Aries and Jacobs. Lots of other insane stuff happened in this match. Jacobs is encouraging Delirious to hit Aries with a railroad spike. Daizee Haze then runs out to try to stop Delirious, but Delirious ends up hitting Da
izee with the spike! The crowd is extremely shocked including myself. More stuff happens and it's down to the Briscoes and Jacobs and Black. Briscoes hit a simultaneous J-Driller and cut-throat driver on Jacobs and Black to eliminate them both. The team of Austin Aries and the Briscoes win steel cage warfare.

Overall, a very good show. I place it better than "Respect is Earned II", but not as good as "Death Before Dishonor VI". I highly recommend the DVD.

After the event, Katsuhiko Nakajima and Kensuke Sasaki were signing autographs. I got a set for myself and a set to mail out to Twilight Tokyo Rose of Smart Wrestling Fan. The both of them were very nice. Below is a picture of me with Nakajima and Sasaki. I'm supposed to be smiling in this picture. Pictures of me never turn out well.

I finally was able to get Nigel McGuinness to sign a poster I have from "Glory By Honor VI Night 1". My brother got Bryan Danielson and The Necro Butcher to sign an ROH t-shirt I have that I have been collecting autographs on since "Fifth Year Festival: Philly". I wish I could've talked to both of those guys. According to my brother, Necro was a very nice guy. Before I left the arena, I was able to get Erick Stevens to sign the shirt. I ended getting home at 1:30 am.

That's it for now. I got even more ROH DVD's that I'm going to review. I've been playing Strong Bad Episode II on the WiiWare, and Mega Man 9 was released for WiiWare on Monday! The next one will have reviews of both of those games. Later, my friends.

1 comments:

NightRiver said...

Nice reviews man! I still havent checked out VPW, might go to their next show. But the ROH was awesome! It was my first show since Kota Ibushi Edison show back in April. We had seats in the last row, until Frank, from the PA sports commission, invited me and my friends up to his box above the Arena entrance. It was awesome watching the show from up there!

Mike you forgot one importing thing in your ROH review, Sara Del Rey’s sexy new outfit!