Wednesday, August 20, 2008

XVIII_MPFW

Hello everyone. Number 18 is finally here!!! It feels like forever since I've done one of these. School is going well for me and I found some time to sit down and work on one of these. Before I get to a "Supercard of Honor III" DVD review and reviews of Bionic Commando Rearmed, Galaga Legions and Castle Crashers on the Xbox Live Arcade, I got a few random notes.

Notes from Mike

-I've decided that I will no longer do any reviews for older stuff, just more recent stuff. This means, no older video game reviews, no Wii Virtual Console reviews and no wrestling DVD reviews of shows before 2008, unless I really want to review them. I have many wrestling DVD's to still watch, so I'll have more time on my hands if I skip the reviews for the old ones.

-I figured I'll just do a quick review of Tropic Thunder rather than a whole one. I thought this movie was hilarious. Very good acting in this one and I was dying dur
ing one of Tom Cruise's scenes.

-Recently I asked a poll on this site asking "What Led Zepp
elin song would you like to play in a Guitar Hero game?" 3 people chose "Stairway to Heaven", "Heartbreaker" and "Communication Breakdown" both received 2 votes, and "Rock and Roll" and "Black Dog" didn't get any votes. Personally, I would've liked to have played "Heartbreaker" because of the awesome intro and guitar solo. I'm most likely going to wait to get more readers before starting another poll.

-Michael Phelps was recently on the cover of Sports Illustrated wearing all of his gold medals. On his official website, there is an address where you can send stuff to him to get autographed. I'm hoping around 8 months I'll get it back signed.

-Everybody check out The CDP. He's got some funny stuff over there and I owe him a plug since this blog is in his links now.

-A quick shout out to Twilight Tokyo Rose! Have fun at the Dragon Gate show in Los Angeles. I believe Fettman is going as well. Both of you enjoy it.


-As always, I like listing the matches for upcoming wrestling events that I am attending. So I'll be returning to CHIKARA for "Style and Substance" on September 7 at ECW Arena. Also on September 20, I'll be going to a double header at ECW Arena when Veloc
ity Pro presents "Back to Old School" and ROH presents "Glory By Honor VII". Here's the matches for said events as of this typing:

CHIKARA "Style and Substance":
-Claudio Castagnoli vs. Brodie Lee in a Steel Cage Match
-Mike Quackenbush and Tim Donst vs. Vin Gerard and Shane
Storm
-Eddie Kingston vs. Lince Dorado

-The Super Smash Bros. (Player Uno and Player Dos) def. The Fabulous Two (Mitch Ryder and Buck Hawke)
-Soldier Ant def. Jimmy Olsen

-Delirious, Hallowicked, Helios and Hydra vs. UltraMantis Black, Crossbones, TJ Cannon and Bruce Maxwell
-Fire Ant and Worker Ant vs. Gran Akuma and Chuck Taylor
-Larry Sweeney vs. Icarus
-Cheech and Cloudy vs. The Osirian Portal (Amasis and Oph
idian)

Velocity Pro "Back to Old School":
-The Best Around (TJ Cannon and Bruce Maxwell) vs. Jay and Mark Briscoe
-Ray Rowe vs. Super Hentai vs. "The Deviant" Mike Utter vs. Johnny Gargano
-Azrieal vs. ???
-Also appearing: Sterling James Keenan, All Money is Legal, T
he New Hollywood Blondes, Bobby Fish, Shiima Xion, Chris Ansert, Phil Bousche, Aramis and more

ROH "Glory By Honor VII":
-Austin Aries, Jay and Mark Briscoe vs. Jimmy Jacobs, Tyler Black and Delirious vs. The Necro Butcher in Steel Cage Warfare
-ROH World Champion Nigel McGuinness defends vs. El Generico

-NWA World Heavyweight Champion Brent Albright defends vs. Adam Pearce
-Also appearing: Jerry Lynn, Roderick Strong, Kevin Steen, C
hris Hero, Eddie Edwards, Sara Del Rey, Shane Hagadorn, Bobby Dempsey, Erick Stevens, Jigsaw, Ruckus, Daizee Haze, Kenny King, Rhett Titus and more

ROH "Supercard of Honor III" DVD review

Go Shiozaki vs. Delirious started pretty funny with Delirious shouting "NO CHOPS!" and trying to avoid them, and I don't blame him. Nice opener and I enjoyed Go in this match.

YRR vs. Bushwhacker Luke, Dingo and Alex Payne was good with an ending with a nice combination of moves. Erick Stevens vs. Roderick Strong turned into a brutal brawl.

Jimmy Jacobs and Tyler Black vs. Jay and Mark Briscoe was a great match. It starts with some awesome brawling through the crowd. Nice match and the ending is quite cool, however it's really similar to the finish the Briscoes had in Pro Wrestling NOAH.

I was really looking forward BxB Hulk and Shingo vs. Kevin Steen and El Generico. The match was really good, but it wasn't as great as all the message boarders made it out to be. BxB Hulk and Kevin Steen had a dance off which was quite fun.

Nigel McGuinness vs. Austin Aries was good, but I liked their match from "Rising Above" better. The Dragon Gate 6-man tag was great. I love the original match from "Supercard of Honor", which I felt was better.

This is a very good DVD. Put it in your collection now!

Bionic Commando Rearmed review


I wasn't originally going to get this game, but I saw a review online and decided to purchase it. It's apparently a remake of the NES game. I think it's a very good remake, however, the controls make me want to throw my controller at my TV. There are so many times the claw does not shoot the direction you want it to and there isn't a jump button, so you have to find a way to swing across a gap. If you can get past the controls, then it's a pretty good game. If not, I say that you should pass on it.

Galaga Legions review


I was looking forward to this game since it was announced at E3 and I love Galaga, so I purchased this right away. The game looks amazing in HD. There are also skins you can unlock for the game. I love the vintage skin since it resembles the original Galaga. It's quite challenging since I can only get to level 3 so far. I recommend it to anybody especially if you love shooter-type games, but if you haven't played Pac-Man Championship Edition, I recommend you get that first.

Castle Crashers review


This game is so much fun. It's $15 and definitely worth it. I loooooooove the art style in this game. It's one of, it not, my favorite video game art style of all time. It's all hand drawn and I wish I could get a drawing of myself done in that style.

More about the game. The length of the game is pretty decent, but you'll end up playing through it again and again with some of the characters you unlock to unlock even more characters. There are animal familiars you can find which can increase your stats or help you find items. There are lots of weapons you can find, all with different stats.

One problem with the game though. Right now, online mode is broken, so we have to wait until a patch is released to fix it. Once that happens, the game will be perfect in my book. Another small complaint is that when you get a new weapon or animal, you have to go all the way back to the blacksmith to find out what stats the weapon has or what ability the animal has. With that, buy this game because it's the best Xbox Live Arcade game I've played so far.

That's it for this one. CHIKARA "Style and Substance" in on Sunday, so the next blog will be a live review of that event. This concludes our broadcast day. Click.

0 comments: