Wednesday, January 28, 2009

XXXIII_MPFW

My February 7th gift to you all is a new MPFW! Welcome to number 33. I will always remember the number 33 for being the channel number for Nickelodeon. For you, it's probably different. This time I got my favorite commercials from Super Bowl XLIII, video game notes, a review of The Maw on the Xbox Live Arcade, DVD reviews of both nights of CHIKARA's "Tag World Grand Prix 2008", and a review of The Wrestler. Let's do this!

Super Bowl XLIII Commercials

Congrats to the Pittsburgh Steelers for winning their
6th Super Bowl championship. Some said this Super Bowl was the best ever. I thought the game was boring until Larry Fitzgerald got that touchdown to give the Cardinals the lead. I thought last year's game was better because of the story leading up to it.

A lot of people, including myself, look forward to the Super Bowl for the new commercials. The past few years have been disappointing. This year, there were more feel-good commercials than funny ones. We also got to see a few TV spots for upcoming movies. Here are my personal favorites:


NBC: LMAO
My personal favorite of the night. It takes the concept of laughing your ass off literally and it's pretty funny. I can't say I laughed my ass off watching The Office. I haven't even laughed while watching The Office. Yeah, I said it, The Office isn't funny!

Coke Zero: Mean Troy
Based on the classic Coca-Cola commercial featuring Mean Joe Greene, but this time with Troy Palamalu. Funny ending to this one.


Transformers 2 Trailer

To be honest, I enjoyed the first movie and I'm looking forward to this one. Animation looks awesome, yet again. Not enough Megan Fox in this spot though.

Star Trek Trailer
Other than Watchmen, this is the movie I'm looking forward to the most this year. The special effects look really good.


Mike's Video Game notes

-I have beaten both BioShock and Mass Effect. I consider BioShock a great game just because of the plot twist. I enjoyed Mass Effect, but I think it's overrated. Selecting the dialogue was my favorite part of the game, but the combat can get p
retty repetitive. I'm going to play through both games again. Looking forward to the sequels for both games.

-At my job we got in Space Chimps for the Xbox 360. The video game based on the movie of the same name. It's not really bad and it was a good purchase for only $4 new.

-I saw a preview of Watchmen: The End Is Nigh, coming soon for the Xbox Live Arcade. The game visuals look great, but the combat looks repetitive. I have a feeling it's going to be 1200 points, if not 1600. I'll most likely get it. Speaking of Watchmen, less than a month until the movie!

-The "Operation: Anchorage" DLC for Fallout 3 was recently released. I enjoyed it, but I only recommend it if the price drops, since I feel it's a bit overpriced. The quests are too linear compared to the main Fallout 3 game. On the plus side, you get some new armor and weapons for the main game, as long as you are able to carry it all.

-I purchased Left 4 Dead on the 360 the other day. I'm not going to a full review on here, but I'll say that it is a very good and very fun game. It's even more fun when you're playing with someone else. If anybody wants to play, add me on Xbox Live - izzy2287.

The Maw review


This is one of the few good games to be released on the Xbox Live Arcade since the summer time. I saw some previews for the game and it looked great. I decided to download it since it was only 800 points.

The play as an alien who befriends Maw, who you drag around as he eats creatures and gets bigger. Sometimes you'll eat certain creatures that give you special powers like spitting fire or electrocuting enemies. Other than that, the gameplay
can get a little repetitive and no replay value, unless you want to go for all of the achievements. It's also pretty short. I beat it in a few hours. This game contains one of my biggest pet peeves about video games: A final boss/level that has different gameplay or controls than the rest of the game.

This is a fun, cute game that you should at least try out the demo for. The creators of the game deserve some props for some very good animation and look in the game. Upon completing the game, you get a free theme to use for your Xbox Dash
board.

CHIKARA "Tag World Grand Prix 2008 Night 1" DVD review


I'm going to be including some match results this time, as well as Night 2. Seems strange for a CHIKARA show since the fans are right up to the ring, in-ring introductions and fans chanting four-lettered words. Also, there's a ref who looks like Todd Sinclair from ROH.

Fight Club (Kid Fite and Lionheart) vs. Fire Ant and Soldier Ant was a nice opener, with The Colony picking up the win to advance in the tournament. 2.0 were on commentary for this match and it's fantastic. The reunion of Swiss Money Holding (Claudio Castagnoli and Marc Roudin) vs. Vin Gerard and STIGMA. Lots of nice offense from SMH. Crowd is really vocal towards The UnStable and I can't understand any of it. Good match. The Osirian Portal vs. The Thrillers (Joel Redman and Wade Fitzgerald) was a good match. Thrillers were pretty impressive.

Big Van Walter, Sha Samuels and Steve Douglas vs. Bernd Fohr, Emil Sitoci and Bad Bones up now with Claudio Castagnoli on commentary! Seeing Sha Samuels here was a pleasant surprise since he was awesome at King of Trios 2008. Everyone involved in the match did very well. Icarus and Chuck Taylor representing F.I.S.T. going against PAC and Martin Stone. An odd pairing since PAC's original partner, Kota Ibushi, was out on injury and Stone's original partner, Doug Williams, was required to work TNA that weekend. Good match and I really enjoyed it. The team of Stone and PAC advance.

Revolution Purple (Adam Polak and Lazio Fe) vs. Johnny Kidd and Robbie Brookside now up. Good match as Revolution Purple picking up the win. Before the next match, a great promo by 2.0. You could put together a DVD full of 2.0 promos and it could sell itself. They are up against Tommy End and the randomly selected Andrew Patterson. According to Mike Quackenbush's commentary on the second night, this is Patterson's comeback match after having a stroke in the past. Good match, End and Patterson move on to the next round.

Now the match I really wanted to see: Mike Quackenbush vs. Johnny Saint. Before the match, a nice promo by Quack. Very, very good wrestling in this match. Even at his age, Johnny Saint is still incredible. The match was cut short due to an injury. I can't wait to see Johnny Saint at King of Trios 2009. I'm hoping Quack vs. Saint III will happen on Night 3. Now to the second night of Tag World Grand Prix 2008.

CHIKARA "Tag World Grand Prix 2008 Night 2" DVD review

Show opens with Steve Douglas in the ring. I can't understand it since they're talking in German. Mike Quackenbush and says that there should be a tournament to crown a new wXw Champion, with 2 semi-final matches taking place on this show: Mike Quackenbush vs. Claudio Castagnoli and Bad Bones vs. Big Van Walter.

Opening match is Fire Ant and Soldier Ant vs. Vin Gerard and STIGMA in a really good opener, with The Colony advancing to the finals. The Osirian Portal vs. Tommy End and Andrew Patterson is up next. Another good, fun match with The Portal headed to the finals. Revolution Purple vs. PAC and Martin Stone next and it was good. PAC was great in this match. There was a clever moment involving the lucha tag rules. I don't feel like explaining it, so buy the DVD and see it yourself.

Icarus, Chuck Taylor and Emil Sitoci vs. Marc Roudin and The Thrills is our first non-tournament match of the night and it was very good. No commentary for this match which was pretty weird. The Thrillers continue to impress me and I really want to see them again. One of The Thrillers did this move on Icarus that looked like a suplex to the outside backbreaker that you have to see to believe. Another trios match now with 2.0 and Karsten Beck vs. Sha Samuels and Fight Club. Fun match and it was interesting to see 2.0 work as tecnicos.

I've been really looking forward to watching this next match between Mike Quackenbush vs. Claudio Castagnoli. I'm loving during the crowd during this match since it's very fun to listen to. Claudio is working as rudo in this match. Awesome stuff in this match as expected when these two wrestle each other. Great match.

Next is Bad Bones vs. Big Van Walter in yet another good match made even better by Chuck Taylor's commentary. Now it's the main event featuring the finals of Tag World Grand Prix: The Osirian Portal vs. The Colony vs. PAC and Martin Stone in a three-way elimination match. Martin Stone had to leave the match midway, so PAC had to fight on without him. The main event was very good.

I recommend both of these DVD's. All of the matches were good and I enjoyed each and every one of them. Another reason to get them is that you get to see a whole bunch of wrestlers that you have probably never seen before. Get both of them now!

The Wrestler review

This movie was only a limited release, fortunately, it was opening in my area so I got to see it. I was really looking forward to this movie because of all of the positive reviews and the awards and nominations it received, and the involvement of the independent wrestling promotions. I don't know what was going on in my body, but I had to go to the bathroom 2 or 3 times during the movie, so I might have missed a few important scenes.

The story follows Mickey Rourke's character, veteran wrestler Randy "The Ram" Robinson. The way the film is shot, it feels like a documentary with the camera following The Ram. This way, it makes the movie feel more real to me. The story is very good, as it might parallel some the lives of indy wrestlers. All of the acting was very good in this movie. Somebody call my momma! Ernest "The Cat" Miller did a good job as The Ayatolla. Necro Butcher was another big role in the movie and he did very well. I don't want to spoil the movie, but I felt the ending was appropriate. I appreciate that the movie left all of the names of the wrestlers and promotions the same. I spotted Sabian, Chuck Taylor, Bobby Dempsey and Claudio Castagnoli during some scenes.

Although this movie was released in 2008, I consider this a 2009 movie, so don't be surprised if you see it in The Best of 2009 Awards. I highly recommend this movie. If you're a wrestling fan, you HAVE to see it. It's worth making the drive to see it. If you aren't up to the drive, wait for the DVD or HBO, or go to Justin's house to see it.

I hope you enjoyed this one. I added a Paypal link to the right side. Donations are most appreciated as I have loans to pay off for school. My Amazon wishlist is there, too. Gifts are always nice. If people are interested, I have some wrestling DVD's and t-shirts I'm willing to sell. See you next time!

0 comments: