Monday, July 27, 2009

XLIII_MPFW

Hi friends, welcome to 43! Today I got a live review of the debut show of Dragon Gate USA, "Open The Historic Gate". Ever since I saw the Dragon Gate 6-man tag match from ROH "Supercard of Honor" about 2.5 years ago, I've been dying to see some Dragon Gate guys live. With the announcement of Dragon Gate coming to the states, I was finally able to get the chance to see them live at The Arena in Philadelphia. All of the guys involved were looking to make an impact and Gabe Sapolsky, the man in charge of Dragon Gate USA, was looking to impress everyone with this debut show.

Dragon Gate USA "Open
The Historic Gate" live review

Since me and my brother had third row seats, we were able to enter the arena early for a meet and greet with CIMA, Susumu Yokozuka and Shingo. I was a little disappointed since it was just the three guys, but we'll get back to that later. I bought a Dragon Gate towel to get autographed and an early copy of the 2009 CHIKARA Yearbook. We also got to see a special bonus match called "Fray". It was originally called "The Fray", but I guess Gabe hates the band.

Lince Dorado def. Johnny Gargano, Cheech, Cloudy, Unbreakable Andy, Louis Lyndon, Chris Jones and Aaron Arbo in Fray
Some of these guys I've never heard of and didn't know who some of them were since Dawn Marie is a terrible ring announcer. One of them had on The Best Around gear, so I thought it was Bruce Maxwell, but the results I'm reading say it's not. Johnny Gargano was pretty good and he looks like Russell Brand, to me at least. Starts out slow, but gets better at the end. Lince pins Gargano with the SSP.

Now a break to fill in the rest of the arena. It is a packed house here and I'm guessing at least 1,000 in attendance. Since I haven't been to a Ring of Honor show in quite some time, this brings back memories of the large and vocal crowds, but good vocal since it's family-friendly and no jerks trying to put themselves over. After a video package, we get to the opening match.

Yamato def. BxB Hulk
BxB Hulk has dancers and one of them is Daizee Haze! Yay! This match sets a new standard for the evening with lots of innovative stuff and it's all incredible. BxB Hulk is awesome as is Yamato. Yamato wins with Gallaria, a tombstone piledriver manuever. Great match with a standing ovation afterwars, a sign of great things to come later in the night.

Too Cold Scorpio def. Ken Doane
Yes, it's the former Kenny of The Spirit Squad. Naturally, the crowd chants "Spirit Squad" and things of the like. I'm a fan of him and I was looking to forward to seeing what he can do. When you think Dragon Gate, you think innovative moves and fast-paced action. This match had neither and brought a screeching hault to the momentum built from the opening match. The match was really dragged out and full of restholds. Ken put on a good effort, but had to carry Scorpio the entire match which turned out to be pretty boring. Scorpio wins with the moonsault legdrop, but lands right on Ken's face making him bleed. I'm still a fan of Ken and I'm looking forward to seeing how Ken develops into the indy style.

Mike Quackenbush, Jigsaw and The Colony (Fire Ant and Soldier Ant) def. Gran Akuma, Icarus, Amasis and Hallowicked.
Hallowicked replaced the injured Ophidian in this match. Mike Quackenbush got the loudest reception of the night and it was great. The action starts right away and it doesn't stop. Everyone in this match busted their asses and they tore down the house. Awesome match, Jigsaw pins Icarus with the Jig 'n' Tonic to get the win for this team.

Post match, Quack talks about Jorge Rivera and his involvement with Dragon Gate and CHIKARA. Quack then challenges anyone from Dragon Gate to wrestle a CHIKARA guy. Out comes Yamato who talks in Japanese then fouls Quack. Jigsaw out for the save. Gran Akuma comes out and aids Yamato, and all the CHIKARA guys come out to aid Quack. Dawn Marie informs Quack that Yamato has no respect for Jorge Rivera or CHIKARA. If Yamato joined F.I.S.T., that would be awesome.

Dragon Kid def. Yoshino
Both of these guys are incredibly fast wrestlers. The whole crowd got excited when Yoshino started running the ropes, because he is so freakin' fast. Another great match. Dragon Kid with the Ultra Hurricanrana. Post match, the two have a bit of a dispute, but Too Cold Scorpio comes out, puts them over and says that they should both have a rematch.

Finally it's intermission time. I needed some air since that building can get really humid inside. I think they intentionally turned off the A/C so they could sell some of their Dragon Gate fans. Anyway, Dragon Kid and BxB Hulk were at the merch table, so I got them to sign my towel. Ken Doane was signing as well, so I got an autograph from him. I told him I was always a fan and he was a real cool guy. Back to the show.

The Young Bucks (Nick and Matt Jackson) def. Warriors 5 (CIMA and Susumu Yokozuka)
This match was incredible. All the guys tore it up. This was my favorite match of the night along with the CHIKARA match. The Young Bucks are so exciting to watch. They get the pin on Yokozuka with "More Bang For Your Buck", the one Jackson delivering a Finlay roll followed by the other Jackson immediately delivering a 450 splash followed by the first Jackson with a moonsault. It makes sense if you see it in person. Post match, Young Bucks declare that they are no longer the tag team of the future, but the tag team of the present, and I fully agree.

Naruki Doi def. Shingo
Once again, another great match. My favorite spot of the night - Doi went to give Shingo the corner cannonball, but Shingo picked him up and gave him a powerbomb. A lot of great stuff from these guys. They go a little crazy with all the false finishes, kicking out of finishers, but it makes for exciting matches, and I'm fine with that. Doi wins with the Muscular Bomb.

AWESOME SHOW! Watch this show when it's available. After the show, the rest of the Dragon Gate guys came out and I got my remaining autographs for my towel, so I am happy I was able to get all of the Japanese talent. Go to my Facebook if you want to see my pictures with everyone.

That about does it. I'm not sure what the next MPFW will have. I'm housesitting my grandparent's house for a month, so I'm temporarily moving over there but will still have internet. Take care, all.

0 comments: