Monday, September 7, 2009

XLV_MPFW

45 is now here as I'm writing this from Studio B. Still busy housesitting and worrying about more car troubles, so hopefully this blog is better than my last one. This time I got the final results of Loteria Letal: Video Game Edition, some video game notes for you, quick reviews of all 5 of this year's Summer of Arcade games on Xbox Live, a review of Inglourious Basterds and a review of District 9.

Loteria Letal: Video Game Edition - The Results

The end of the tournament is finally here and here are the results. The opening rounds saw Sub-Zero and mystery partner Duke Nukem easily defeat Big Daddy from BioShock and his mystery partner Red Knight of Castle Crashers. Solid Snake and Final Fantasy X's Auron defeated Kratos and Kazuya Mishima. Link and Sonic defeated Travis Touchdown and his mystery partner, The Weighted Companion Cube from Portal. Mario and Samus then defeated Ike and Left 4 Dead's Zoey in the last opening match.

In the second round, Sub-Zero and Duke Nukem defeated Solid Snake and Auron, and the other match saw Mario and Samus def. Link and Sonic in the only unanimous decision of the tournament. The finals came down to Sub-Zero and Duke Nukem vs. Mario and Samus. You voted and the winning team is Sub-Zero and Duke Nu
kem!

That was pretty fun to work on. Who knows, Loteria Letal: Video Game Edition might return in the future.

Mike's Video Game notes

-I don't think I mentioned this yet, but I went to The Control Pad a while back and traded my PSP for a Nintendo DS. I love it so far. I've been playing The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, New Super Mario Bros., and Hotel Dusk: Room 215. All very good games.

-A little while ago I bought Prince of Persia 2008 from The Control Pad for only $15. Loved it. Everything is just so good in that game. Pick this game up. I also later got Assassin's Creed for $15 used at Game Stop. Interesting story and really cool gameplay, though a little repetitive. The only thing that bugged me were the combat controls. I still enjoyed it and will get Assassin's Creed II in the future, probably not right away.

-I picked up The Orange Box recently. 5 great games in 1, so how could you go wrong? I'm only a little ways into Half-Life 2, but it's great so far. I kinda wish I played the first one before this so that I would understand the story better. I've already played through Portal twice on the Xbox Live Arcade version and I still love that game to death. I wanted to play some Team Fortress 2, but I don't think there's many people left still playing. Plus my gold subscription is up and I don't know when that'll get renewed.

-Way back in July 2008, I started playing Grand Theft Auto IV on the Xbox 360. Well, it took me a little over a year and about 81 gameplay hours, but I finally achieved 100% game completion!!! This is now the second GTA game in which I got 100%, the other being Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

Summer of Arcade 2009 quick reviews

I ended up getting all of this year's Summer of Arcade games on Xbox Live Arcade, so I'll just blaze through all 5. 'Splosion Man is the first of the Summer of Arcade games. I didn't like the demo at first, but all my friends were saying how good it was, so I went back and got the full game. I'm glad I did because it's a very fun platformer, so check it out. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 made its way to XBLA. This is a really good fighter. I'm not all that great at this game yet, so I end up getting clobbered a lot online. I did have fun playing with my friends so far. If you're willing to spend the 1200 points, check it out, but make sure you have 2 controllers since it's a 2-player demo.

I was really looking forward to TMNT: Turtles in Time Re-Shelled. This game was such a disappointment. I only got this because Microsoft will give you 800 points if you purchase all 5 arcade games, so it's like Microsoft is buying this for me (I still haven't gotten my points yet. For shame, Microsoft). It looks like a good re-creation, but the move to 3D makes this game not fun and extremely repetitive, not to mention a chunk of the original game has been removed. Avoid at all costs, unless you got it like me because of that promotion with Microsoft.

These last two games both reek of awesomeness. Trials HD is probably going to be the best Arcade game for this year. It's very fun to play and try to beat all of your friends' times. It starts out simple but the tracks get very challenging. Awesome stuff, check it out, well worth the 1200 points price tag. Shadow Complex is another great game. It's basically the same formula of Super Metroid, but better. Very good game, but my only problem is there's some graphical glitches that happen from time to time, and the enemy AI can be weak at some parts. Still very fun and a nice length and very good buy for 1200 points.

Inglourious Basterds review

I was looking forward to this movie mostly because it's a Quentin Tarantino film, and those are always good. The story in this movie is very interesting, taking place during World War II. The story is told quite well, but there are a lot of long dialogue sequences. Most of the dialogue is in German, so there's a lot of reading subtitles. The acting in this film is very good. Brad Pitt does a great job, as well as the main villain, who was fantastic in this movie. I give a high recommendation for this movie, so check this movie out.

District 9 review

This was another summer movie I was really looking forward to. I loved the entire documentary feel to this film. It made everything in the movie seem so real. The story is very interesting where aliens are stranded in South Africa and are forced to live in pretty much an alien ghetto. Acting is all good and the special effects are great. A lot of violent stuff in this movie, too. I can usually handle violence in movies, but a lot of this stuff made me cringe. A lot of great action in this movie as well. I am most surprised by the fact that this film had a budget of only $30 million. From the success of this so far, it looks like future films will be made and I look forward to seeing each one of them. I consider this an almost perfect movie. Go see this, please.

Hope you enjoyed that one. The next blog will have my review of The Beatles: Rock Band and possibly other stuff. The MPFW Facebook group will most likely get deactivated due to nobody bothering with it. Check out all the links on the right and I will see you next time!

0 comments: